Skip to main content

An Interview With the Newest Member of Our Team




Charles Stuart began his role as Emerald Hospitality Associate’s Regional Director of Operations on December 2, 2019, after spending a decade working at the Hilton corporate offices. His responsibilities as Regional Director of Operations include providing direction and support to a select group of properties and ensuring that each property is achieving its maximum overall potential in all aspects of hotel operations. He also works directly with property General Managers along with other Emerald support personnel to ensure brand and management compliance in all important key metrics including quality, guest service, and profitability. We sat down with Charles and got to know him a little better:

1. What is your favorite movie? Why?
I am a big fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. As a kid, I collected comic books; so seeing many of these stories come to life on the big screen is really cool.

2. What is your favorite book? Why?
I don’t get a chance to read as much as I would like; so I recently started listening to audiobooks to complement my attempts at reading. My last read/listen was The Energy Bus by Jon Gordon. I love this book because it provides a “roadmap” for finding positivity in yourself and your team.

3. What do you enjoy doing outside of work?
Family time at home is really important…I have an amazing wife and two great kids. A few years ago, we made a family decision to collect less “things” and to focus more on “experiences”; so we try to keep that spirit alive in everything we do together. We even create a new hashtag every year to chronicle our Stuart Experiences.

4. What is your favorite place to travel? Why?
Working in the hotel industry, my career has brought me to so many great places. I think I am only missing seven or eight of the US States. That withstanding, I always love returning to Boston. I may have grown up in NYC; but have very fond memories living in Boston for 12+ years.

5. What is the best piece of advice you have been given?
I have certainly received lots of great advice, but one thing that has always stood out comes from my first General Manager and eventual mentor. He once quoted Vince Lombardi and told his entire management team that “If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm.” Now while that may seem harsh, as I’ve grown and developed my career, I have continued to keep that spirit with every new job, task, or assignment that I take on. Enthusiasm often makes all the difference.

6. What is the best part of working in the hospitality industry?
For me, the true spirit of hospitality comes from the relationships that we build with other people. Whether it’s for our team members or our guests, we really are and need to remain an industry of people serving people.

7. Do you have any special travel tips and tricks?
1. Invest in some really great luggage…I have blown through my share of suitcases; but also have a TUMI that has lasted years.
2. Pay to join TSA Pre-check…well worth the $85 to save time during airport security screenings; especially, if you are running a bit late.
3. Download the appropriate Apps to your phone…you’ll want to be prepared with all the latest updates regarding your trip.

8.
What three habits will improve your life?
1. Whether it’s a good workout, a spa treatment, or a good book/movie, you need to commit time to yourself!
2. Find time to unplug from the world and just savor the moments and people in front of you.
3. Learn to practice combat or tactical breathing. This breathing strategy has been used by first responders, the military and athletes to focus, gain control and manage stress. It is also known to help control worry and nervousness.

9. If you could have lunch with one person alive or dead, who would it be?
My Grandmother. She passed away when I young and was a big part of my life at the time, so it was really hard losing her. I would love to sit with her, talk about my life, and hear what she has to say about life in general.

10. What Would Your Perfect Day Look Like?
“Today! Whatever today brings will be perfect.” As cliché as it may sound, I try to say this to myself every day when I wake up. Whether or not it comes true, I think it brings a sense of positivity that sets the tone for the day ahead.




Visit our site to learn more about Emerald’s services and portfolio of hotels.

Comments